- Victims of torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment and punishment have a right to rehabilitation, in line with theme of this year’s celebration (Right to Rehabilitation). This is pursuant to Article 14 of the Convention against Torture which provides that:
“ Each State Party shall ensure in its legal system that the victim of an act of torture obtains redress and has an enforceable right to fair and adequate compensation, including the means for as full rehabilitation as possible”
- This rehabilitation should be holistic
- The government(s) in Nigeria through the relevant agencies have a financial obligation in providing this rehabilitation regardless of resources available
- The rehabilitation must be accessible at the soonest possible point after torture, and
- Victims have a right to choose their provider, be it nongovernmental organizations or the State providing services .